[LAU] Linuxsampler/qsampler usability and session portability

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 12:59:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> linuxsampler front-ends like qsampler only "talks" lscp, they don't know
> nothing about jack, midi nor sound-files, whatsoever. it is linuxsampler
> that does all the dirty work, even if its being redirected via its plugin
> interface.
>
> however, linuxsampler as an engine does not provide any interface to edit
> sample files be that .gig or .sfz . you edit those files through an
> appropriate stand-alone application (eg. gigedit) and then tell linuxsampler
> to load the product into its engine. that's it.

Well, I guess the initial question was more in the lines of "why do we
make it so difficult to create sample libraries?" :)

I gave gigedit a go a while ago to try creating a sample library from
public domain files I stumbled upon, but eventually gave up, because
even after doing it by the book I couldn't get any sound of
gigedit/LS.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org