[LAU] integrating linux+osx boxes?

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 07:22:01 UTC 2011

Hi Shane!

Congrats on getting the job!

Out of all those apps only Ardour, Mixbus and Hydrogen have official Mac
ports as far as I'm aware- js_wrap should be easy enough to compile yourself
I'd imagine if you get Xcode.

You'll prob be happy enough using JACKpilot, the OSX JACK gui bundled with
JACKOSX although I have heard of qjackctl osx packages floating around
although I don't think Rui has a Mac or provides any OSX support although
theoretically it shold all 'just work' anyway I suppose if you get it to
compile and JACK is installed.

Note that the OSX version of A2 doesn't support LV2 plugins!

Which brings me nicely onto my ponderings on OSX/Linux compatibility wrt the
upcoming Ardour 3 OSX - Mr Davis and drobilla I'm looking at you here
mainly, of course.

Will we:

* Be able to use VST(i)s under Ardour 3 OSX? If it doesn't make 3.0 I'm sure
public outcry will make it inevitable for 3.1! ;)

* Be able to save a session using lxvsts like NoiseMaker under A3 Linux then
open that session under A3 OSX if we have the correct VSTs installed or may
lxvsts be incompatible with a Mac native VST(i)?

* Least unlikely I know but would there be any chance I could save a project
using Linuxsampler as a LV2 under A3 Linux then load the same project using
the AU version of Linuxsampler under OSX?

I'm sure Shane would like to know to!

Happy Mondays!