[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 18 23:38:07 UTC 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:59:18 +0200
> From: "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jostein at vait.se>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org

>   [snip] *Mainly Fons and LinuxDSP stuff [snip]

REVERBS IMO are a weak point for any OS.

If possible avoid using any Linux reverb, better use some stand alone
19" stuff. But if you need to use a Linux reverb the best choices are
Jackconvolver for impulse response and LinuxDSP for an algorithm reverb.
Jackconvolver is very good regarding to it's sound quality, but AFAIK
there's no usable GUI for real-time control, while LinuxDSP has a usable
GUI, but it still has limited abilities. Don't expect a Rev-1/7 or 480L
or even a SPX 90 II. I suspect there are a lot of low cost reverbs,
perhaps from Alesis, Behringer some other vendors and even Lexicon, that
are easier to use than a Linux reverb. Perhaps the Arts reverb will run
under wine, dunno, this VST anyway isn't that much better. If I wouldn't
have a reverb, I would take a look at Alesis or Behringer, as long as I
don't have the money for something better.

2 Cents,

Ralf