[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Wed Oct 19 08:31:48 UTC 2011

tisdagen den 18 oktober 2011 13.45.40 skrev  S. Massy:
> Hello,
>
> In pure mixing, I tend to try and avoid plugins as much as I can, but
> it's not always possible depending on the material. Most of what I use,
> people have mentioned already. As I do not yet have access to LV2
> plugins, I stick to ladspa.
> - The SC4 compressor serves me very well.
> - For EQ I use the 4 band parametric filter, the multiband eq, and the
>   single parametric ew most often.
> - Reverb is either g2verb or jconvolver.
> - Finally, the only thing which seems to have been left out by others is
>   the TAP scaling limiter which is great for final limiting if handled
>   gently.
>
> For more outlandish effects only experimentation can serve.

I think you are very sensible in you choices and they will probably be avable
for years to come. It's wise to stick the same stuff and get know it well
(just as an instrument), and it's probably the only way to tweak things in a
predictable way.

It's interesting that in the 70's (the last half for me) and 80's, we did not
have much possibilities compared to what we have today, we had to stick to
what we had. But the sound itself and the mixes could sound very good. Much of
what's typical of the sound from the 70's and 80's was not about quality but
sound preferences, well expect for noise, echo and other tape and HW
artifacts.

Jostein