[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Oct 19 12:53:54 UTC 2011

On 10/19/2011 02:44 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:

>>> I'm not so fond of JAMin. It has flaws and consumes way too much CPU.
>>> About a year ago Patrick Shirkey mentioned that there was no other JACK
>>> application that attempts to provide a complete mastering chain. But
>>> that was about a year ago, at the moment it is perfectly possible to
>>> create a similar tool chain with the help of plug-ins. I prefer plug-ins
>>> then, more flexible.
>>
>> Completely rebuilding Jamin with single plugins will consume even more cpu
>> than jamin itself. The reason is that jamin is actually built from plugins
>> (the look-ahead and the compressors are plugins) but also merges plugins
>> internally to optimize for speed...
>>

> I haven't had issues per se with CPU resources (whern I am using Jamin, I am
> not doing anything else except recording the output), but what are the
> alleged flaws in Jamin?

http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-May/069653.html

I think it was explained in another thread but as I am no DSP expert I
could be wrong. This was the other thread:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-September/072897.html

Sorry to dig this up and maybe I shouldn't say flaws, I guess it's about
different interpretations on how filtering is done.

Best,

Jeremy