[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Oct 19 21:36:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:02:54PM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> Another thing is that musicians are getting more and more lazy (well,
> that's the way I see it but it sure is food for thought). Within two or
> three decades Native Instruments will come up with something that will
> convert any ideas into music, exactly as you had it in your mind. Put on
> some kind of augmented reality helmet thingy and 'create' a complete
> record within a few hours. Just speculating here of course ;)

At which point it will become completely irrelevant. The easier
it becomes to produce something, the more there will be of it
and the less it will be interesting. And there is a secondary
effect: the more something is _perceived_ to be easy, the less
budget for doing it will be available. That applies to science
and technology as well as music.

Nothing new here. When I was working for BRT (Belgian public
broadcasting) they still had their own orchestra (and choir,
and big band, and jazz orchestra). I remember one politician
member of the administrative council saying: "20 violinists ?
Can't they be replaced by a synthesizer ?", and that was not
a joke.

Ciao,

--
FA