[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 19 22:16:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 19:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> Almost all of my recording is 'classical' music which does not
> require high average level or invasive compression. But even
> using conservative average levels (mostly EBU loudness based
> these days), that doean't mean that you can't get a signal that
> peaks above 0 dB. It may happen just 0.01% of the time, but it
> happens. And such short peaks are no good reason to lower the
> average level, and limiting them to avoid clipping is completely
> transparent, so I always use a limiter in the master bus.

I experienced this 0.01% of the time margin is overstepped as not being
audible. YMMV Overstepping 0 dBFS not always cause audible results.

Most times I'm not using a limiter, sometimes I'm using a limiter for
the master bus too, but I don't think that it's a good thing doing this,
usually a limiter does destroy the sound.

Anyway, the context was about using the limiter as a very active
plug-in, while you're talking about the limiter as something that will
be active in the worst case szenario, 0.01% of the times ;).

> but none of them would produce such
> gratituous nonsense as what you write above.

It's hard for you to understand the context of speech? :D

2 Cents,

Ralf