[LAU] Top DSP plugins?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Thu Oct 20 20:18:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 07:18:13AM -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
> > Autotuning has been around for more than 10 years and the last 4 years
> > it has become an essential element of contemporary popmusic,
>
> Replace "essential" with "overused" and I might agree with you.
>
> It is sad that autotune is trying to replace true talent.  I always
> tell people I would rather work with them to get the damn recording
> right, than to use autotune and try to band-aid it later.  One the
> singers are better for it, and two the recording sounds better for it.
>  It just takes time, something that people that use autotune aren't
> willing to commit to their craft which is truly sad.
Another point, though, is that of why we feel voices need be autotuned
at all. Many important people in the musical world
(blues/rock/jazz/etc.) didn't necessarily have amazing or amazingly
precise voices, and still their contribution was very significant. Why
do we seek this kind of fake plastic perfection?

Cheers,
S.M.