[LAU] [OT] Screen recording with jack: pain

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Oct 20 21:15:37 UTC 2011

On 20/10/2011 22:48, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 10:35 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> Once upon a time I could record fine with (gtk)recordmydesktop selecting
>> jack... then jack audio recording seems to be broken (in Ubuntu and now
>> in Debian (wheezy)) with funky errors since quite a while.
>>
>> Then I had hacked a couple of script using ffmpeg with jack support...
>> which of course involves compiling ffmpeg with jack enabled (and
>> recording is a bit clumsy as you have to manually connect the jack
>> client to ffmpeg jack client then cut that boring part from the video
>> etc.)
>>
>> I was wondering what people's setup for (especially on debian) are, and
>> if any simple solution currently exists.
>>
>> Lorenzo
>
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> Maybe this Wiki page could be helpful:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/screencasttutorial

Thanks Jeremy! Interesting approach... The Xephyr part is neat:
Although on debian you need to compile ffmpeg for x264 support, so maybe
one might as well compile it with jack?

Here's my one-liner for ffmpeg.

ffmpeg -f jack -ac 2 -i ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1280x800 -i :0.0
-acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0
output.avi

Lorenzo