[LAU] More Shoegaze..

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Oct 21 08:31:03 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 08:55 PM, James Stone wrote:
> Apologies for those with an allergy to soundcloud, but I don't have a
> better way of distribution at the moment.
>
> http://soundcloud.com/jmstone/never-again
>
> I recorded this a few months ago now, planning to make some further
> changes, but I'm not sure I will get round to it in the near future,
> so.. RERO.
>
> The extreme distortion, and vocals back in the mix is on purpose - and
> hopefully reasonably in keeping with the genre. The piece could
> probably do with a better ending!
>
> This track is composed of a load of guitar and bass loops recorded
> into Renoise. Effects are mostly the built-in Renoise plugins IIRC.
> The guitar (Aria TA50) was recorded thru a Behringer V-AMP 2 and the
> bass (Ibanez Roadster RS800) through a BDI 21. Vocals were through 2
> different cheapo Behringer mic preamps (minimic 800 replaced by a mic
> 100 after I fried the former accidentally!) Samson C01 condenser.
> Drums were laid down in 10 seconds! :)

Hello James,

Cool stuff. I've been listening a lot to Slowdive's Souvlaki and newer
stuff like The Joy Formidable recently and I'd say it's shoegazer
allright ;) The drums remind me of old Cure stuff (Faith/Pornography) ,
especially at the end. The vocals are not that distinct but it suits the
track well, maybe they could've been a bit more airy, a bit more
ethereal. And the bass could use some more pronunciation maybe. The
ending is fine to me, maybe it should last a bit longer and with some
effects on the drums. I'm curious on how this track will evolve!

Best,

Jeremy