[LAU] Recommend inexpensive monitors and headphones

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Oct 22 15:32:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:59:18PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:13:49PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > In the same class and price range: Beyer DT100. Mine are 30 years
> > old now, they have been abused in all sorts of ways (including being
> > dropped 8 meters from a roof and spending a night in the snow), and
> > they still work great. Used them earlier this evening when recording
> > a concert.

> Good grief, Fons, you *do* live!

I didn't jump, only the headphones did. This happened long time
ago when I was a student at the film/broadcasting school. We
were doing a documentary on some squatters occupying a building
in Antwerp. This was all about some contested building plans,
so some day we were filming on the roof, to have an overview.
This was when the police decided to clear the building. There
was some pulling and pushing, and my (then very new) headphones
went overboard. We all ended up as 'guests' at the police station,
and were released the next moring at six. All equipment - Arriflex
16 mm camera, Nagra, lights (but not my headphones !) was confis-
cated, and we got it back only weeks later. I went back for my
headphones and found them - somewhat scratched, but otherwise OK.

Ciao,

--
FA