[LAU] New music, made with Ardour 3

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 21:47:59 UTC 2011

On 10/22/2011 04:48 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback -- the glitchyness of the drums is deliberate,
> of course, but I wonder if there's a way to smooth out the higher
> frequencies a bit. I've heard people say that bouncing to some good
> quality tape has various magical qualities, including smoothing out
> high frequency transients in general, but I tend to be suspicious of
> such claims :)

Tape CAN do that, depending on the type of tape, and type of machine.
You have to hit the tape HARD.  The excessive magnetic field from the
record head trying to record that level actually tends to erase some of
the higher frequencies on the peaks.

But, again, a LOT depends on what brand of tape you are using, your
reference 0VU, how hard you hit it, and the type of machine you are
using.  If you use a combination such as a 3M 2" 16 track with Ampex
456, you will have good luck after you find the sweet spot.  If you try
it with a Fostex and TDK tape, you will probably be disappointed.

--
---
My website is down. I had a motherboard failure on that computer!! (ugh)

  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]