[LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sun Oct 23 21:42:25 UTC 2011

On 23 October 2011 at 17:38, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 08:13:24AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>
> > The subject line says it all.  I'm looking for a Linux solution to
> > watermarking audio.  Thanks...
>
> I've never seen any. The amount of work to develop such a thing
> would depend on your exact requirements. Important parameters
> are:

I never thought much about requirements, as I wasn't thinking of
creating one.

> * Which operations should leave the watermark intact. If this
>   includes lossy encoding/decoding things get more difficult.

Maybe version 0.5 would work with lossless and version 2.X would
work with lossy?

> * The minium duration of a fragment that allows the mark to be
>   detected.

However long is easiest I suppose.  1 sec?  10 sec?  Repeated in
spots through the file X times, where 1 < X < (length in minutes)?

> * How strong the 'provability' should be.

Maybe version 0.5 is 10% chance of proving, and version 2.X would be
better?

> * Operational requirements. For example, should it be possible
>   to verify the mark without having the information necessary
>   to remove it ?

Some operations would be:

  - Mark
  - Un-mark
  - Re-mark
  - Remove
  - Verify signature
  - Verify content

In a later version maybe the tool could be able to use some of the
above tools, in cooperation with other sound file tools, to preserve
a watermark across sound file format conversions, between lossless
forms and crossing between lossy/lossless domains.

For version 0.01 even just being able to attach an md5 sum of an
audio file along with a gpg signature would be cool.

I use a subset of GNUPG's capability.  Maybe you can see that in
my above requirements?  ;-)

Is that a useful start on a start?

Thanks....

--