[LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:50:08 UTC 2011

On 10/23/2011 02:53 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 23 October 2011 at 21:44, Nick Copeland<nickycopeland at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>>   I'm looking for a Linux solution to watermarking audio
>>
>> Are you looking at an open operating system to help you close your=20
>> mind? Forget the technical issues involved=2C I personally think you are=20
>> talking to the wrong community: watermarking is a means of restricting=20
>> distribution of visual material.=20
>>
>> Linux is not about restricting distribution of anything.
>>
>> Perhaps you should raise these questions on one of the Apple mailing=20
>> lists where you will meet equally paranoid minds. Bringing these issues
>> up on this list is out of line.
>
> Have you ever signed a file with GNUPG?  That's a watermark.  Have
> you ever used an SHA or MD5 signature of a file, and verified those
> signatures with GNUPG?

It's my understanding that "watermarks" are more than this.  That you
can add a watermark to a CD and that if it is played on a computer it
has a phone-home feature so that Big Brother will know that an
(un)authorised person has been given control of the CD.

I never did research to see if these black helicopters are real or not,
However, my brother-in-law in Nashville used to get to listen to
pre-released albums... but since he wasn't the official reviewer, he
needed to play the CD's only in audio CD players -- since playing it on
a PC would get him and his source in Big Trouble.

-gabriel