[LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Oct 23 22:07:39 UTC 2011

On Sunday 23 October 2011 23:50:08 Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On 10/23/2011 02:53 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> >>
> >> Are you looking at an open operating system to help you close your=20
> >> mind? Forget the technical issues involved=2C I personally think you
> >> are=20 talking to the wrong community: watermarking is a means of
> >> restricting=20 distribution of visual material.=20
> >>
> >> Linux is not about restricting distribution of anything.
> >>
> >> Perhaps you should raise these questions on one of the Apple mailing=20
> >> lists where you will meet equally paranoid minds. Bringing these issues
> >> up on this list is out of line.
> >
> > Have you ever signed a file with GNUPG?  That's a watermark.  Have
> > you ever used an SHA or MD5 signature of a file, and verified those
> > signatures with GNUPG?
>
> It's my understanding that "watermarks" are more than this.  That you
> can add a watermark to a CD and that if it is played on a computer it
> has a phone-home feature so that Big Brother will know that an
> (un)authorised person has been given control of the CD.
>
> I never did research to see if these black helicopters are real or not,
> However, my brother-in-law in Nashville used to get to listen to
> pre-released albums... but since he wasn't the official reviewer, he
> needed to play the CD's only in audio CD players -- since playing it on
> a PC would get him and his source in Big Trouble.

Thats what you get from playing sony-cds on a windows machine.
Once again they forgot to support both mac and linux users with that
"feature".

And that was neither a watermark in the audio, nor special track on the cd,
just a normal windows boot sector executing a stinking trojan and opening your
machine up to code execution from sony (and everyone who hacked sony or knew
how to use that insecure backdoor opened by sony on your machine).

Have fun, forget about watermarks, use proper licenses and worry about your
creativity and not about keeping your audience from admiring you,

Arnold