[LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Mon Oct 24 08:46:05 UTC 2011

Kevin,

On 23/10/2011 17:13, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> The subject line says it all.  I'm looking for a Linux solution to
> watermarking audio.  Thanks....

I wonder if anyone ever thought of/done (something like) this:

- Paint something with your favourite graphics editor, export to bitmap
- Use a tool like ARSS [1] to resynthesise the bitmap only in a
near-to-inaudible fequency range (say 16000 ~ 22000 Hz)
- mix it with the original audio (so that the audio watermark is very
low but strong enough to be visible in a spectrogram)

Of course, to work this assumes the original audio does not contain much
material in that very range where you are placing the audio watermark.
And of course this could possibly be filtered out. And I don't think it
would be machine-readable (or maybe yes, with some super-funky fft
analysis).

I also wonder what would be the audio impact on the original sound (I
think much dependent on the contents of source and watermark audio).

Not that I would necessarily endorse this.

Lorenzo.

[1] http://arss.sourceforge.net/