[LAU] Multitrack recording with MIDI sync?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Oct 24 12:44:24 UTC 2011

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:
>> Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Is there a particular reason that you don't want to use a GUI
>>> application?  Something of this sort should be fairly trivial using
>>> either Rosegarden or Ardour 3.
>>
>> I would sir, if I could sir, if I only had the chance...  However, I am
>> blind, and the accessibility of GUI-based Linux audio apps is no-where
>> near being usable.  I once sent patches to improve the accessibility of
>> Ardour to Paul Davis, but he rejected them.  This was very frustrating,
>> so I basically gave up on this topic since.
>
> What was my actual response to said patches?

Tried, but didn't find your original mail anymore, its actually at least
4 years ago...  So its a bit hard to answer your question, since I will
have to use my memory, which might be a little bit faulty.  But as
far as I remember, you didn't like the concept of ATK calls being
necessary to beef up accessibility.  If I remember correctly, you said
something like "this should be simpler or not necessary" or what not.
To be
honest, back then I thought you didn't understand the issue at hand.  But I was so
frustrated about your reaction that I totally dropped the idea of
working on inproving Ardours accessibility.  Its no fun if you have to
explain yourself over and over again.

The patch was doing something simple like associating a label with the
corresponding input field, such that the screen reader would actually
know the label for the particular input field... This is pretty normal
accessibility stuff, but on reject I totally lost motivation to fight
windmills.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕