[LAU] New music, made with Ardour 3

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:47:38 UTC 2011

On 10/23/2011 09:39 PM, Leigh Dyer wrote:

> I had actually been thinking about trying exactly that -- I do have a
> good quality hi-fi VCR here still, despite the fact that I haven't
> used it in years -- so I set it up yesterday and gave it a go. I
> hooked my laptop up to the VCR, played the track while recording, then
> swapped the connectors around, rewound the tape, and recorded the
> audio from the VCR back in to the laptop.
>
> It's amazing just how clean the signal from the VCR is. In fact, it's
> so clean that it sounds identical to the original audio to me.
> Comparing the signals in Japa, I can see a sub-50Hz hump in the VCR's
> audio, and a slight roll off above about 10KHz. There's clearly some
> stuff going on in the time domain, too, but it's very subtle, and I
> definitely can't hear it myself.
>
> So, an interesting exercise, but perhaps a pointless one :) I can
> upload the audio if anyone's curious and wants to do their own
> comparisons, though.

I had actually been talking about normal audio tape (1/4" half-track).
Hi-fi VHS is built a little differently, and I'm not sure it responds
the same, or how the media itself compares to audio tape (Ampex 456, for
example).

--
---
My website is down. I had a motherboard failure on that computer!! (ugh)

  http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]