[LAU] Open Sound Interface project beginnings

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:30:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello Charles Henry,
>
> I am Electronic Engineer and a little bit more...
>
> Am 2011-10-25 14:21:12, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> The code itself (VHDL or Verilog) is hardware independent, but a
>> compiled file is specific for a particular FPGA device.  Users won't
>> ever want to have to build from source--just flash binaries.
>
> I do not know VHDL/Verilogand have never programmed a FPGA, but  do  you
> do this under Linux  or  do  you  use  propriatary  tools  of  the  FPGA
> manufacturers?

As far as I know, there's no open source tools to compile FPGA code.
It's always device specific.  Starting with VHDL/Verilog source
(device independent) and an I/O pin-mapping file (per device), you
generate a net-list file and then it has to be mapped/routed for the
specifc device.  Any advice on tools to use or study is most welcome.

It seems to be a lengthy process that takes some skill.  So developing
the binaries to be flashed is a bit outside most users' ability--but
flashing from JTAG headers can be accomplished by a few free tools.