[LAU] buying a new laptop

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 5 09:11:39 UTC 2011

Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2011-09-04 08:59:31 +0200:
>> On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 05:49:19PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
>>
>>> I have owned a few ThinkPads in my day, and they do run
>>> well with linux, but the ergonomics of the keyboards on
>>> them irritate me so much, I'll never use another one.
>> I'm happy with my T410; I ameliorate the ergonomics
>> by using a wireless USB mouse, and a compact
>> USB keyboard.
>>
>> I disabled the touch pad, otherwise I
>> get spurious mouse clicks.
>
> I use a really cheap Acer Extensa 5220, keyboard is ok for me, it has a
> rather conventional layout compared to some laptops I've seen where
> ESC/Shift/Enter/... where all over the place. The touchpad works ok for
> me, although I started to use a mouse again when at home. Touchpad is ok
> for the occasional pointing, but if you do point-heavy stuff it can go
> so far that your fingertips heat up and you almost start to rub them
> off.

I think that's where the fingertip-rolling technique comes in.

> The touchpad can be disabled using Fn+F7 but this happens pretty
> much in hardware as far as I know and can lead to xruns (same goes for
> backlight).

Toshibas have a function key combo that disables touchpad. I've never
noticed if it has any impact on xruns, cuz I usually use external
keyboard and trackball except on mobile recording trips (like recording
my church band this morning) - then I need the touchpad.

Can't imagine why backlighting would have any impact on xruns. I'd
figure that would be subsumed in the general impact of laptops' power
management hardware on things like processor or bus speeds.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community