[LAU] Alternative to audacity for simple non-jack recording?

Arve Barsnes arve.barsnes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:02:06 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 09:42, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 08:00 AM, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>> I have a simple little usb-thingy that I want to record sound from. It
>> shows up just fine in audacity, but when I press record with it set as
>> the input device, audacity freezes completely, and I have to kill it.
>> I've tried ecasound and qarecord, but I couldn't really make any of
>> them work. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just try an
>> older version of audacity? Just looking for some hints before I start
>> the whole downgrading process (the older, "stable", version of
>> audacity comes with the thingy, so that's supposed to work).
>>
>> Arve
>
> Hi Arve,
>
> It is very very unlikely that it's related to audacity. Your device is
> probably not correctly identified or supported by ALSA (the kernel
> driver for sound-cards).
>
> It may help to post the output of
>  sudo lsusb -v
> and
>  cat /dev/sndstat
>
> which will provide more info about the "little usb-thingy". I guess it
> may mistakenly use some driver-settings for a similar compatible device.
>
> Can you play audio?
>  aplay some-audio.wav
>
>  aplay -l # lists all audio devices
>  aplay -D DEVICENAME some-audio.wav
>
> As to your subject: rezound is a great sound-file editor; but it won't
> work either if arecord or qarecord do not work.
>
> best,
> robin

The thing doesn't have any output mode according to the documentation.
Which makes sense, since it doesn't show up with aplay -l

lsusb output: http://pastebin.com/ZSRbSa5q
No such thing as /dev/sndstat. I'm on Gentoo if that makes any difference?

It's this device: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-cassette-capture-2-x-aa-82121
I see from a recent review that I might not care to get this working
if it's only mono, but any more hints as to why this isn't working
would be nice.

Arve