[LAU] [OT] Fedora installation problem

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Sep 17 16:18:25 UTC 2011

Greetings,

First, thanks again to everyone who responded to my original message, I
appreciate your input and suggestions.

I gave up on Fedora 14, possibly a bit too soon, and I may yet decide to
install it on another machine. In fact, F14 installed nicely on the
target box, and the Planet CCRMA rt kernel seemed to perform well in the
little tests I ran. The problems I encountered started with a
difficult-to-reach runlevel (fixed by editing /etc/inittab per session)
and ended with a failure compiling nVidia's kernel module (yep, I had
the correct kernel sources), with an adorable snafu over the nouveau
driver in between (resolved by removing and remaking the initramfs image).

Arch started looking attractive at that point, so I downloaded the ISO
and started the process of installing an Arch system. So far, so good. I
have a nice Xfce desktop, surprising JACK performance on the default
kernel, and the latest nVidia driver is humming along nicely. I've also
compiled and installed Csound 5.13.0, and the audio is working perfectly.

I'm still trying to figure out some libraries/dependencies stuff.
AVSynthesis crashes because of a Csound-related linkage error, but I
think I can hammer it out. :)

Best,

dp