[LAU] ubuntu vs arch

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Tue Sep 20 06:32:12 UTC 2011

Hi

A friend of mine who would like to use his new UA-25EX with ubuntu on
his (i think) x200 (at least it's a 2.4Ghz dualcore 64 bit thinkpad with
6 or so gigs of ram). A very nice machine, that should be great for
setting up a linux DAW. However I cannot make it run without x-runs (did
the usual limits.conf dance). Whenever a window is dragged, or there's
disk activity or something like that there's an x-run.

He has two ubuntus installed, a 64 bit and a 32 bit (one is natty one is
marverick, forgot which is which). Both systems (mis)behave the same. I
tried running in openbox with pulseaudio killed, I installed the
lowlatency kernel from Alessio Igor Bogani.

I've been testing with ardour (which he's probably gonna use) and
renoise (which I know best).

The soundcard runs great on my dualcore 1.4Ghz x61s with arch.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

NB: Exact details regarding software or hardware can be provided, but
the laptop is at his place...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk