[LAU] Annoying click in sox + lame pipe

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Tue Sep 20 13:29:19 UTC 2011

I have a sox + lame pipe of this kind:[1][2]

sox sin.mp3 -t wav - trim 10 20 fade t 2 10 2 | lame - -r out.mp3

Everything is fine but the final mp3 file[3] always has an annoying
click at the beginning. This has somewhat to do with the pipe as it
doesn't happen if I create a wave file from sox. Nor does it happen if I
use sox only:

sox sin.mp3 out2.mp3 trim 10 15 fade t 2 10 2

Yet the latter needs sox compiled with mp3 support, which is less
portable than the above.

I'm not sure how to look into this so any suggestion is welcome.

Lorenzo

[1] No I can't use better, non-evil formats this time
[2] No, I haven't the uncompressed source, so  I can only use the mp3 as
input: life sucks.
[3] Here: BUT ATTENTION!! There is a click at the beginning so turn
volume right down: http://lorenzosu.altervista.org/temp/dump/out.mp3 The
source file here:
http://lorenzosu.altervista.org/temp/dump/sin.mp3