[LAU] Electronic Drum Rataplan

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed Sep 21 20:58:49 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 15:46, schrieb Robin Gareus:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to make a good sounding rataplan on an electronic
> snare-drum.
>
> I'm not looking for the typical army-snare but rather the funky style:
> just hit the snare and keep applying pressure to the stick so that it
> bounces a few times. Some kind of electronic equivalent of
> http://gareus.org/_media/pub/misc/wirbel3.mp3
>
> I tried short sequences of 64th or 48th notes in hydrogen (various
> drum-kits) and seq24 (general-midi jazz-kit) - to no avail.

If I remember correctly this is not the most easy exercise for a drummer
though it is basically simple: you just hit the drum twice with one
stick and then twice again with the other. The main effect is, that you
avoid the machine-gun effect that unveils a drum computer immediately.
The not-so-easy part is to do that very very fast...

So let us try it in H2:

put two slightely different snaresounds in two instrument channels.

set resolution to 32

set notes like this:

xx  xx  xx
   xx  xx  xx

an so forth...

I tried it right now (with just one snare an different velocity) and it
sounds, like one can come near your example (with some serious fiddeling
though...)

good luck ;-)

HZN

p.s.: if there is a experienced drummer out there that knows a better
way, please upgrade :-)