[LAU] VC and jack

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Sep 25 17:45:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 01:24:36PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A more general thought: what about implementing a new type of generic
> > "control" signal in JACK, and having existing audio apps accept these
>
> it has been discussed. it has not been implemented. there was some
> opposition, and as you note, any control signal can be recast as an
> audio signal. it would not be hard to add it, but clients would have
> to support the new port type explicitly and it would confuse others.

I don't buy that. Only clients that need the new port type would have
to support it. You could as well say that MIDI ports confuse pure
audio clients - it's just not true.

As to confusion, using audio type buffers for control signals - without
any way to identify those except maybe by name - would generate a lot
more of it. But since it's the only way, I'm already doing that in two
new apps. They both use audio channels as a bundle of 16 control signals.

Ciao,

--
FA