[LAU] Berklee Certification

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Tue Sep 27 19:31:49 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 08:18 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 06:48 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
>>> If you could document your setup, you'll probably be able to convince
>>> quite a few future students!
>>
>> I surely will. BTW, Robin, I also used xjadeo extensively for these
>> classes, it served me very well for syncing music to image.
>
> I'm glad to hear that.
>
> Now that you've graduated and have lots of time (hehe) you may want to
> give http://gareus.org/wiki/a3vtl a shot. Basically it allows to control
> xjadeo from ardour3 and offers a video-timeline. BUT the usual
> alpha-software warnings apply.
>
>>> The problem is not so much the software; but time and equipment
>>> (instruments, musicians, studio) to record and create those libraries -
>>> especially orchestral sounds libraries for film scoring can be quite
>>> expensive.
>>>
>>> Most producers of these sample-libs do simply not have the means to
>>> support free-software: Publishing the samples in a proprietary format
>>> solves their issue of distribution retaining copy-protection.
>>
>> I wouldn't object to using commercial apps like Kontakt or PLAY on Linux...
>
> I would not object to commercial samples - if the sampler is free :)
>
> Though eventually I'd favor some kind of GPL or CC buyout model. DRM is
> evil but musicians still need to eat.
>
> I think the problem boils down to creating an open format for a
> commercial sample-library that prevents the user from sharing the
> samples while it can still be used (in realtime). The usual GNU/Linux
> approaches (e.g. gpg encrypted ramdisk) make it either too easy to
> circumvent copy protection or are not suitable for real-time usage.

That's exactly what I meant... I can see there's lots of hard work
behind nice samples, but this doesn't mean they couldn't be distributed
through more open formats... but I guess it's really an itchy issue.
Of course as Brett pointed out even if closed source supporting linux
would be a good start...

> Tools like http://www.linuxsampler.org/nkitool/ are in constant need to
> be updated to new versions...
>
>>> AFAIK sonokinetic.net is or was looking into making their libs available
>>> for GNU/Linux applications; but I don't know any details.
>>
>> That would be awesome... I use a lot of Sonokinetic's libraries.
>
> They did sponsor the Linux Audio Conference this year.
>
> maybe we should start asking them repeatedly about Linux support...
> I just sent them an inquiry. I will let you know when they respond.
>
>>> Another Dutch effort: http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/ is an active
>>> project towards that goal.
>>
>> Wonder how that is coming along... not much there right now...
>

> It is still in planning phase.. it only started a few months back and -
> alas - there is not much information there how to help except for
> donating money.  I am a bit reluctant to do so without knowing the way
> they'll go. So far they only outline the goals which IMHO seem a bit too
> too unrealistic. Even just the first point on:
> http://opensymphonia.sourceforge.net/?page_id=16
> "Studio quality 192khz/24bit recording of a entire Orchestra per section
> and per instrument, dry and in a concert hall."
> would be an investment of>$1M in the commercial world.
> And the 2nd: "Multiple articulations" will take at least a year or two.

Well the idea/vision is cool... I wonder if a project like that could
get some sort of 'institutional' sponsorship/support, like from
conservatoires, music academy, similarly to how some OS projects are
sponsored by universities

Lorenzo.