[LAU] ubuntu vs arch

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Sep 27 21:17:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 04:42:35PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Here's Dave's can't-lose process:
>
> 0) Experiment to exhaustion.
>
> 1) Search Google with high hopes.
>
> 2) Send message of desperation to Linux Audio Users list.
>
> 3) Profit!

Very much to the point, in particular (0).

> More seriously, the available tools (lspci, lsusb, etc) can tell you
> what's there - possibly with default values - but they don't tell you
> what's optimal. I'm not sure they could, given the influence of other
> factors e.g. shared IRQs, interface bus, other hardware/mobo
> considerations.

Learning to use tools such as lspci, lsusb, many others and
in particular understanding what udev is doing (a lot on
modern systems) and how to control it will help.

That's IMO one advantage of a distro such as Arch: whenever
you have some problem, the solution offered on the e.g. the
Arch wiki or suggestions from other users usually gently
force you to use the available tools and understand what is
happenng rather than giving a 'shrink wrapped' solution.
And after some time (and sweat and lapses of panic and
desperation) that pays off.

Ciao,

--
FA