[LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Apr 22 03:13:08 UTC 2012

Hi,

Some of you may know that we are having a discussion on the Consortium
mailing list at the moment about the role of advertising in the Linux
Audio Community. Specifically the discussion is focused around the
possibility of having some paid ads on a *couple* of the subdomains that
are hosted at Linuxaudio.org.

The views for and against appear to be very polarised. I would like to
know what other people who may not be monitoring the Consortium list have
to say about this topic.

One camp feels that advertising is an evil blight on humanity and should
be avoided "where ever" possible. Although that appears to be a flexible
"where ever" due to having supported advertising by some supportive
companies in the past.

The other camp thinks that advertising can be a useful way for the Linux
Audio Community to promote brands that support Linux Audio and by
association increase the general public awareness of the viability of
using Linux Audio as a business platform and another way to potentially
raise funds which can be used to advance the entire platform.

Do other people here have any strong opinions on the usefulness of
advertising in the Linux Audio community?

Should it be avoided like the plague or does it have some value that can
be integrated provided we set some boundaries?

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd