[LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Apr 22 10:12:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, April 22, 2012 11:24 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 04/22/2012 11:15 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> I'm still not sure why you don't want businesses to give people round
>> here
>> money.
>
> Not at all. "people 'round here" can take all the money they want from
> anyone for whatever they deem fit.
>
> but linuxaudio.org itself will have a hard time. Usually money comes
> with obligations and we are in no position to handle that properly.

Maybe I am naive but I thought our obligation as a consortium was to
discuss these topics and come to a workable solution that benefits all
members.

> Currently there is no flow of money in or out of linuxaudio.org - it's
> all volunteer work and hosting is sponsored by vt.edu.
>
>> Are you also advocating the idea that *no one* should make money
>> from Linux Audio?
>
> certainly not.
>
>> Are you also adverse to all forms of advertising in relation to Linux
>> Audio?
>
> Personally, I'm averse against all forms of advertising :)

That's interesting. So how do you feel about for example, Google? A Linux
focused company that makes the bulk of it's revenue from advertising, that
contributes a significant amount of money to open source development and
even employs members of this the Linux Audio Community. They also happen
to be one of the largest companies in the tech world.

Would you prefer Redhat not to advertise and promote to allow them to
achieve billions of dollars in sales? They also provide a significant
amount of financial support to members of this community not to mention
their contributions to the Kernel.

How about Ubuntu? Should Mark Shuttelworth feel sorry for advertising the
viability of the ubuntu experience? Should they stop marketing and
promotions?

What about Ardour and Harrison or even Trinity Audio Group? Should they
stop accepting paid advertising or paying for advertising/marketing
opportunities?

What about all the trade shows where the sole purpose of such events is
for self promotion and marketing?

And then we have DJ's, musicians and event promoters. Should they all stop
marketing themselves and just hope that people come to their gigs?

Not to mention TV and Radio. Both industries represent a significant
potential revenue stream for Linux Audio businesses.

An least we forget about all the medical, scientific and other technology
industries that require our skills to make progress. Do you really think
everyone should stop marketing, promoting and advertising?

Do you really think it is a reasonable policy for the Linux Audio
Community  let alone the Consortium which claims to support professional
Linux Audio to be completely anti advertising?

Do the other members of this community feel so strongly too? That
advertising is without merit and should be avoided like the plague for
fear of contaminating out precious Linux Audio Ecosystem.

Are we so succeptable to the evil powers of corporations that seek to
control our message and brand that we cannot manage to hold our own ground
and even take control of the message for our own purposes to promote the
viability and power of the Linux Audio Platform and tools?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd