[LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:47:23 UTC 2012

My comments.

On 4/22/12, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> It seems strange to me that people who are so invested in digital music
> would dislike animated content.
Among other things it is a matter of taste.  Also, music and animation
have little in common in essence.

On 4/23/12, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Setting it at a philosophical level of Ads VS non-ads is a little
> misleading.
I believe that, on the contrary, this is a philosophical question.  It
is very serious and should not be dismissed as inane.  We are talking
about freedom.

On 4/23/12, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> There is more to this community than just a bunch of well resourced
> academics and semi retired technical experts with enough time on their
> hands to give away everything for free.
Indeed, there are also young people with regular jobs who live with
their parents and are happy to have such a community, where you can
give everything away for free without someone saying "you can make
money off of that."

> One thing I don't understand is why some people think that taking steps to
> make Linux Audio more attractive to advertisers in terms of providing
> access to a professionally run channel for businesses that would like to
> associate their brand with the Linux Audio platform is found to be so
> distasteful.
As Fernando said, this thread concerns linuxaudio.org.  Channels for
business can be run elsewhere.

> Are we expected to believe that academia will provide all that we need and
> therefore nothing else shall be required? What of the people who would
> like to earn a living from the platform if possible are they simply on
> their own or are we as a commmunity able to support them in their goals
> too?
The community inherently supports everybody by making available tools
and knowledge to those who have any desire to know or to do.
There is absolutely no reason to draw the conclusion that academia is
the only thing driving "us."

On 4/23/12, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as the ads are designed nicely and are not intrusive and are on the
> topic, especially if it is about good audio and midi hardware that works
> with GNU/Linux, I just fail to see any issues.
As many have pointed out, deciding on "designed nicely, [...] not
intrusive and are on the topic" requires a lot of politics.

As well, if you find a midi controller or card that works well for you
and send a message to LAU saying so, you will find that typing said
controller or card name together with linux into a web search engine
will bring this message up in a week or so.  This is a very effective
way of promoting things.

On 4/23/12, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz at ping.de> wrote:
> Anyway: I will probably unsubscribe if this off-topic nonsense is
> continuing.
OK