No subject

Sun Apr 22 07:59:13 UTC 2012

actually  make sense.

>>> From what I've learned: official policies are best avoided and replaced
>>> with common-sense.
>>>

>> A policy is simply a way for everyone to know what the expectations are.
>> If we leave it up to each one of us to guess then we will never be able
>> agree on anything.
>
> http://linuxaudio.org/policy :)
>
> Let me interpret it like this: If a sponsor support our cause:
> "promote and enable the use of Linux kernel based systems for
> professional audio use" - we can link to and /advertise/ for them.
>
> A good example is your previous endeavor: http://awards.linuxaudio.org/
> Commercial companies sponsor a prize for Linux-Musicians; the companies
> in question also directly promote audio and/or GNU/Linux. We add a link
> to and logo of those companies and the prize-money goes directly to the
> musician(s). Great.
>
> If an unrelated 3rd party wants to pay linuxaudio.org for SEO, ads or
> whatever - even if we could use the money to do great things for LAO -
> it's more or less a no go. -- At least for the time being.
>
> For that to happen, linuxaudio.org would need to become a much larger
> organization in order to balance commercial interest, retain its
> independence and handle bureaucratic issues. It'd also require revising
> the policy which can be only done by a majority decision of the
> Linuxaudio.org Management Board.

And you are opposed to that?

> On 04/22/2012 03:27 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Considering that most server companies are offering 500Gb to 1TB of
>> monthly bandwidth for less than $20/month it's hardly breaking the
>> bank for you to give them some space.
>
> On average over the last year linuxaudio.org served 1.5 TBytes/month
> (~35-40k unique visitors per month). The last weeks (with LAC videos)
> we're currently around 4-5 TB and this month is not over, yet.
>
> yet, bandwidth is the cheap part.

No one suggested that the entire domain be moved to a new host in order to
accept third party advertising. Ever. Definitely not me. It seems there
has been some confusion or perhaps it is due to the "fog of intense
discussion"

> That being said, some of your initiatives (e.g label.linuxaudio.org and
> awards.linuxaudio.org) are very interesting and were promising. I
> suggest to focus on [reviving] those rather than pushing ads in general.

Well I would love to be in a financial position where that would be
possible...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd