[LAU] klang

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Aug 2 13:38:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:19:02 +0200 (CEST)
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> IMO Paul was right to come out full guns blazing on this one. After all
> the effort that has gone into making Linux the most stable audio platform
> over the years it is very dubious behaviour for this person to come out of
> the blue with a direct challenge to the platform without even having the
> courtesy to discuss it first in the LAD list.

I found it odd that the klang developer has this thing for power management.
My studio machine is not a laptop running on battery power, nor does it
have a heat problem.  I really couldn't care less about whether my audio
subsystem allows the CPU to throttle back. My latency is around 5ms, and I
don't have any problem with routing apps through JACK.  My studio system
has been very stable for years now.

Not only is he solving a non-problem, but he's trying to do it without
tapping the knowledge base of the people who have been working on this
for years, and he's trying to do it in a way that is counter to decisions
made at high levels in the kernel dev circles about using FP in the
kernel.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com