[LAU] klang

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Aug 2 13:47:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:34:38 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> datenwolf is a diehard linux fan. in fact, he's a diehard unix fan. many of
> his objections to things that have been done with the desktop and to some
> extent with audio come from his very strong conviction that its not unix-ey
> enough. his feelings on this stuff are actually not that different from
> some people on this list. if you watch the video of him raging against the
> gnome desktop, you'll get a much better sense of where he's coming from,
> and its not washington state or california.

He's got points there - Gnome's been problematic for a while.  But unlike
other mainstream OSes, I have a lot of options as to my window/desktop
manager, and it doesn't seem useful to build up that much rage about it.

It seems like he would get along with Theo DeRaadt, who is also capable of
whipping himself into a frenzy.  (Theo's latest rant over the Win8/UEFI
secure boot is a great example.  He slammed RedHat and Canonical for
trying to figure out a working compromise, and even compared RH to MS.
Um, no.)

I think the klang project is a dead end, and it's too bad that all
that really comes out if it is more bitching about linux audio, which
is finally at a pretty good level for both the casual and power users
now.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com