[LAU] routing alsa to jack

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Aug 2 20:23:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 11:36:08AM -0400, S. Massy wrote:

> There is also a third method now, thanks to Fons Adriaensen: I haven't
> given it a try yet, but my understanding is that it aims to address the
> lack of persistence when using the jack alsa plugin. You can get it
> here:
> http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads

This is not 'a third method'. The zita-a2j and zita-j2a
apps are replacements for the alsa-in and alsa-out clients
that come with jack. They can be used in the same way as
those, e.g. together with the ALSA loop device. The main
difference is that they do not degrade audio quality.

Note that you only need the ALSA loop device when the
app you want to connect is one of those crippled ones
that only accept 'soundcards' as an ALSA device. If not
all you need to connect an ALSA app to Jack is ALSA's
jack plugin.

Ciao.

--
FA