[LAU] How can we convert money to fixing bugs in software?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Aug 3 22:45:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, August 3, 2012 10:57 pm, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:27:51PM +0200, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> There is NO PROOF that the factoring of the products of large primes is
>> fundamentally 'hard' mathematical problem. It's likely a fast algorithm
>> exists and is already in the hands of several governments.
>
> BS. There is plently of evidence that it is a very hard problem,
> there's just no proof that no solution exist.
>
> Image for a second that the USA government would know a method
> to factor any product of two large primes. Then it would have
> to to consider the possibility that
>
> * another goverment would find out the same, giving it access
>   to most of the financial and economic infrastructure of the
>   USA,
>
> * or some private researcher finds it, goes public and all hell
>   breaks loose.

The threat of death is quite a powerful motivator to keep things quiet on
that front.  You gonna be the one who releases "that" algorithm?

> In either case the damage would be on scale that even good old
> O.B.L. couldn't dream of.

A CIA cutout created to allow the US to justify perpetual war?

> Keeping such a thing secret for any time would be the most stupid
> and irresponsible thing one could imagine. No USA government,
> democratic, republican or neocon would ever do that.

Of coure not. The governments of this world are run by nice people who
only want whats best for all of us right?

> What would happen if someone finds such a method and has any
> good sense would be that in a matter of months all RSA based
> cryptography would disappear from all  systems that have any
> strategic signficance. And that wouldn't go unnoticed.

It's been known in some communities for a while. Nothing has changed so
far. Apparently the status quo is quite acceptable.

>> We are all exposed on the internet ;-)
>
> Most people just expose themselves. For example I wonder why
> the owner of a business with 'subsidiaries' and 'partners'
> (enough to keep one busy I'd think) is wasting his time trying
> to make some petty money with a commercial website on Linux
> audio. I can only assume that Boost Hardware Ltd. is going
> all fours up, don't need to read your emails for that.

My company hasn't done bad from Linux over the past 14 years. Now I have
decided to step up the pace and generate some real income. You're welcome
to join me for the ride but I'll leave that decision up to you.

If you continue to feel threatened by the possibility then you're just
shooting yourself in the foot which is coincidentally one your your strong
points so I am not surprised by this statement or your desire to run me
out of town as you have done it before to other people who only wanted to
be useful too.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd