[LAU] 64-bit kernel 3.x deb package?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Aug 7 20:37:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 21:10 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> However, the first thing I have to do is kick out Gnome :(

But that's not so hard to do, perhaps next year we need to transform
"Lennux" back to "Linux", before we can use it.

I can't remember if I had the choice, using the first installation DVD,
but when I installed Debian it still was GNOME2, so it was ok. However,
there at least seems to be one way (I skip netinstall) to install Debian
directly without GNOME3:

"Flavors: The live images come in "flavors", four providing the desktop
environments GNOME, KDE, LXDE and Xfce, and two text console flavors:
rescue and standard. Many users will find these initial package
selections suitable, installing any additional packages they need from
the network afterwards." - http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

At the moment I prefer Ubuntu Studio Precise and Arch Linux, both
running Xfce, but I'm not making music at the moment. LXDE also is ok.
To avoid "kick out" situations Arch Linus is very handy. It only
installs a basic Linux without X. And Linux major distros IMO reached
the point where it became harder to remove unwanted packages, than it is
to install needed packages to a "naked" Linux.

YMMV!
Ralf