[LAU] Fwd: Debian desktop news

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:25:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 12:25 +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>> AV Linux is fantastic otherwise.
>
> The default WM is Compiz :(. The default de (LXDE) IMO isn't the isue,
> it's the WM.

That wasn't the case last time I tried AV Linux- I'm pretty sure it
uses openbox as per LXDE default. I'd need to check although I know
I've never seen any compositing enabled OOTB under the last few AVL
releases.

I'd rather see AVL using XFCE (w/ the GVFS disabled by default) and
doing so makes more sense now that Debian defaults to XFCE - Debian
being the underlying OS of AVL of course.

Anyway, I'm not going to whine to GMaq about that one as he's fully
aware of the alternatives and LXDE's drawbacks (more bugs + lack of
features vs XFCE). Its his distro and most users seem to be happy
enough with LXDE.