[LAU] creating open source sample libs. (Was: Re: Experiment One - For Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. Music and a short review of the sample library)

Nils list at nilsgey.de
Thu Aug 16 08:49:55 UTC 2012

Am Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:22:22 -0300
schrieb Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet at gmail.com>:

> Hi, there.
> What about these samples
> http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/make_music/samples/library/
> ?
>
> "License: You are free to use these samples as you wish, including
> releasing them as part of a commercial work. The only restriction is
> they must not be sold or made available 'as is' (i.e. as sampler or as
> a sampler instrument)."
>
> I'm just starting with them. I think any linuxsampler user probably
> knows, but what do you guys think of these samples? Does it meet the
> tech and license requirements? My first bad impression is about the
> sample format, they are all distributed as MP3 - I would consider a
> non compressed format instead.

Hello Marcel,

the License means that you can't compile the samples in soundfont,
gigastudio, kontakt etc. file. I guess the intention of the license is
to prevent .sfz as well, although technically you could argue that the
samples are still "as is" in sfz format, there is only a meta file
added. But the same is true if you compress them and include metadata,
so the case could be made for any sampler format.

Also "they must not be sold" is understandable but still essentially an
open source breaker.

But since they are mp3 it does not matter at all. A compressed format
is absolutely out of question as basis for a sampled instrument. It is
pure audio nonsense.

So all in all these are 'freeware' mp3. I would rather buy something in
the price region of 100 euro.

Nils