[LAU] OT: Platypus Egg's debut album released under Creative Commons

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Aug 17 17:06:27 UTC 2012

Hello Kris1
   I'msorry I got back so late. I enjoyed your album very much. It's an
interesting mixture of styles. Platypus fits the bell quite adequately. I like
the overall production and the ensemble of instruments.
   I still can't decide, which of them is my favourite. It's a run between Long
distance call from grandma and Lemonade. I like some of the harmonies in the
Long distance call very much and the very celtic intermezzo speaks to me.
   Lemonade draws me because of its overall drive and its changes of feel and
rhythm.
   Overall it's fantastic musicianship and a very nice production. I don't
always agree with the bass. Sometimes it sounds to slim to me, but then your
bass player generally likes his slapping, which goes very well with that
sound. I don't say it's bad, just that I might have expected different -
especially  with a song like Alien. The metallic influence there is nice. It
all sounds very transparent to me. It manages to form a unit, a whole. and you
didn't fall into the trap, that is so often heard with small productions,
involving real drummers, which is: you didn't make the bass drum to bassy.
Although with your tight playing, it could still have lost a little more
there.
   Fantastic album. Very surprising for a first listen and then surprising
again with every song and every listen. :-) I enjoy it, it's inspired music.
Sometimes deceptively simple and almost psychedelic, only to reveal a surprise
or three, when I listen again.
   Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry, if that had been covered before: did
you produce it completely with Linux?
   Warmly yours
           Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html