[LAU] Korku -- A small piece made with Linux

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Aug 19 17:32:32 UTC 2012

On 08/19/2012 10:14 AM, Ali Polatel wrote:

>> The piano is [almost] a 1:1 copy from the music during the "judgment
>> scene" of Eyes Wide Shut - actually a piece by Ligeti called "Musica
>> Ricercata", 2nd Movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNixStGxIGU
>> Korku is even using the same pitch.
>
> Yes, exactly! I wonder if there are any copyright issues with such works.
> Not that I want to sell it or anything. I am kinda new to this world.

It is tricky. There are some guidelines regarding citations, fair-use
and also what makes up a composition or musical idea.

Using only two notes which are evenly spaced quarter notes in a sequence
of 3 bars still has sufficient entropy. Themes have been built with
less. e.g. Beethoven's 5th ta-ta-ta-dahhh :)

Copying, quoting, paraphrasing, plagiarism, attribution and stealing
have a long history in all arts. The legal and moral acceptance varies
from time to time and culture to culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_plagiarism

The way I see it, in the current western culture: you're fine until you
start making big money or prevent someone else from making money.  ..and
then no guidelines or copyright-law will help you, only a good lawyer
can. In fact, you'll need a better lawyer :(

2c,
robin