[LAU] Ubuntustudio 12.04 audio?

Mac ussndmac at charter.net
Sun Aug 19 20:10:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 09:49 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Mac <ussndmac at charter.net> wrote:

> > Does anyone know of an overview of how audio in Ubuntu Studio12.04 works?
> > I've made some mods to other debian builds. Before I spin my wheels a lot
> > jaunted to see the lay of the land.
>
> Depends on what you want to do, but as far as I know, Ubuntu Studio
> doesn't do audio any differently than other Linux distros. Everything
> has pretty much just worked out of the box for me. I use RME hardware,
> so I disable the internal sound device, and also remove pulseaudio,
> since I use jack exclusively for sound on my studio system. I think
> support for firewire audio is going to be spotty regardless of what
> distro you are using. If you've gotten your device to work in other
> distros, it should work in Ubuntu 12.04

As far as I can tell it handles the firewire device (AF12) ok.

But, when jack starts it gets the 12 i/o's from the AF12 and labels them
with the UUID of the device concatenated with numbers 1 thru 12 and one
channel with no number. (this apparently screws up the auto patch since
the sans number channel is at the bottom of the list and "1" is at the
top. (though the sans number one is indeed physically channel 0)

Jack also starts with all the MOBO onboard audio i/o with "PULSE" as
part of their concatenated names.

I've never seen either behavior in AVLINUX.

I have a system that I've built on AVLINUX that implements a tri-amp
output. It includes CALF plugins, zita-lrx, and the zita replacement for
a2j and j2a.

First glance appears that I may be able to bypass the alsa bridge with
what's showing up in the patch in UBS12.04. But, I need to determine
where and how the pulse connections in qjackctrl are being made. The log
doesn't show a script being run by jack start.

--
Regards,
Mac