[LAU] how to install the real time preempt kernel in ubuntu12.04 and make it the defult?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Aug 20 23:52:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, August 20, 2012 3:56 pm, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 18:12 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:

>>> default kernel?
>>>
>>> Are you sure you need the realtime kernel? If you want to install
>>> Ubuntu and are going to do audio work, I recommend you install Ubuntu
>>> Studio, as it has everything setup out of the box for audio work,
>>> including jack with realtime scheduling (for which you do NOT need the
>>> realtime kernel).
>>>
>> +1 for US, but don't expect hat "threadirqs" is set up.
>
> I've never needed to do anything with "threadirqs" on Ubuntu Studio,
> but maybe it's not necessary for the hardware I am using.

I think it is the rtirq script that may need setup. It seems to be ok as
is for an internal audio interface, but changing things does seem to help
for firewire or USB interfaces. This is especially true in a case where an
internal audio interface is not being used, but can't be disabled in bios.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net