[LAU] Output all audio on other computer's device?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:03:42 UTC 2012

On 27 August 2012 21:46, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't there something about FPU and the SheevaPlug not having one? I vaguely
>> recall a thread about this. Maybe not in this list but jack-devel.
>
> Thanks, I will look into that.  Are there any other requirements I
> should be aware of?

does the sheeva host hard drives via USB? if it's USB 2.0, you might
want to think what they can handle, that connection won't match SATA
in your desktop/laptop. having said that, it's still faster than the
100Mbit ethernet (if that's what your connection speed will be)
between the two computers

> Would 1G ethernet provide much lower latency compared to 100M?

hmm, interesting question. i would guess not, latency and bandwdith
are different concepts, the latter shouldn't affect the former

latency is a function of the quality of the network interfaces, the
length of the wires/distance between wireless receiver, the number of
links and possibly buffer size. maybe some other things will affect
it, but i would guess these would be key

i found this quite useful for explaining the difference between the two:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/a/network-speed.htm

from that it appears that latency can affect actual bandwidth though,
in certain conditions

--
robin

http://fu.ac.nz - Auckland's Free University