[LAU] A surprisingly stupid RT priority question

Aaron Krister Johnson aaron at akjmusic.com
Mon Dec 3 16:48:01 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Interesting thread, and thanks for the information.

I have a related question: I have an EEEPC 1000HE netbook (used to run Arch
but I got tired of having to compile, or failing to compile, some extra
pacakges) that runs Xubuntu, usually with XFCE of course, but sometimes
with Fluxbox. Also have a bigger laptop, and HP pavilion7, running Mint
with Maya Desktop (I also switch it to Fluxbox sometimes).

Anyway, it seems the EEE has suboptimal IRQ hardware settings for RT low
latency audio...doing less /proc/interrupts shows that there's a lot of
sharing, like the audio and video card being on the same IRQ. Indeed,
running Csound FLTK gui interfaces and moving them while processing the
csound orchestra sometimes makes pops and crackle dropouts, while the same
thing on the better IRQ set HP Pavilion shows flawless performance.

Even if I run an outboard USB audio interface (Lexicon Lambda) on the EEE,
there is still suboptimal USB Irq settings to contend with.

I've always suspected IRQ settings, which are unfortunately hard-wired in
laptops, to be profoundly influential in RT performance, but I wanted the
audio guru programmers to comment.

Thanks,
AKJ

Aaron Krister Johnson