[LAU] S/PDIFF on a delta1010(lt)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Dec 7 23:57:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, December 7, 2012 3:41 pm, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Len!
>    Thanks. So no problem using input 9/10 in parallel to the rest of them.
>    Do you have any idea, which ALSA mixer items really relate to those? Do
> you
> actually set any volume on them?

Out of the box on power up all the levels are Off or at the lowest
setting. The levels have to be set before use. It is best to do a:

alsactl store <card #> <-f filename>

And then add:

alsactl restore <card #> <-f filename>

to your boot or login. If you are using text with more than one terminal
open you want to do it with your boot so it only gets done once not when
each terminal is opened. Ubuntu (and maybe others) saves alsa settings at
session end and restores them at session start. If you use all virtual
terminals there is no session though.

The s/pdif i/o can be used at the same time as the analogue i/os but, an
input from s/pdif will set the the clock of the the whole sound card. SO
if the s/pdif input is set to 44.1k then no matter what the D1010 is set
to the sample rate will be 44.1k So if jack tries to set the card to
something other than whatever the s/pdif is set to, it could be confusing.
So remember s/pdif input is always the master clock.

I use an ART USBDualTubePre as a pre for the s/pdif on my system as this
gives me 24bits in sync that the USB doesn't. (I use the the same box as a
USB i/o on my netbook)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net