[LAU] Wav loop points

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Dec 11 12:03:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, December 11, 2012 7:27 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
> *Wrote this some time ago to the list, never got a reply. Now looking
> through the archives, I don't see this mail at all. I did attach a file,
> so
> maybe it was filtered.
> This is why I am duplicating this.*
>
> Hey fellas!
>
> I notice that no Linux samplers seem to support wav file loop points. All
> Windows DAWs that I have used support the format and there are a lot of
> samples out there with perfect loop points which is very useful.

Can you give us details on a specific method?

A lot of us don't use windows apps so an explanation of the functionality
you are looking for could be helpful.

> I have no idea whether this is part of the spec or not but these
> looppoints have been used for more than 15 years, that's for sure,
> since some
> of these sample collections have been around during tracking days. I did
> find something on loops here:
> http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html

It looks like it is done with cue points and playlists.

"A playlist consists of an array of segments, each containing information
about what sample the segment should start playing from, how long the
segment is (in samples) and how many times to repeat the segment before
moving on to the next segment in the play order."

> But I think you, devs, know better than me anyway.
>
> I think it would be great if LMMS, samplers like Petri-Foo would support
> this, as this adds a lot of functionality. Many sample collections provide
> perfect loops and it is tiresome to have to try to remake it by hand each
> time, while in some software it is simply impossible at all.
>
> What do you think?

I think seamless looping functionality is a feature that a lot of LAD
tools could benefit from.

> ps: I can provide you with a sample example with loop points

Might as well put a couple up for us to look at.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd