[LAU] midi velocity

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu Dec 13 17:04:50 UTC 2012

Could just be me and my ongoing discoveries of weirdness...but has
anyone else had the experience of finding that Linux studio apps seem to
require much higher velocity from keyboards than the same keyboards do
in the world of physical gear?

I'm using a Yamaha SY99 as a master keyboard, and I'm finding that with
most of the soundfonts I've tried in FluidSynth, I'm having to play the
keyboard *hard* to get multisamples that have been setup to play a
certain sample only at high velocities to switch into their higher
velocity sound.  I never have to play that hard when I'm using the SY99
by itself, or when using it to drive any other keyboard or drum machine.

Is it just some kind of Alsa Midi thing, or do soundfont creators out
there just really like banging their keyboards?

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky