[LAU] musicmadewithlinux: Mozart Symphony #40

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Dec 17 20:27:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 08:42:38PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 04:09 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Try downloading again. There is no silence in the track.
>
> The link we all listened to has several musical correct rests. This is
> what the OP perhaps means by "silence". I also would say that there
> especially is audible noise in the "silence", rests.

(sorry Patrick, nothing personal)

This is without doubt the ugliest sound I've heard in the last
30 years or so. It's also missing some parts which are clearly
present in the score (which I happen to have at hand as I recorded
that symphony some months ago).

As to the remark made by another poster:

> Yet, this is the only way you can play mozart, he doesn't deserve
> better. Not, that isn't well played, but the sounds show this piece
> for what it is.

I'd say that even the worst 1% of what Mozart produced has
some orders of magnitude more subtlety, musicality, humanity
and beauty in it than 99% of the output of who wrote that
nonsense.

My <preferred deity>, if this the level of conversation on this
list, I wonder what I'm doing here.

Ciao,

--
FA