[LAU] OT: musicmadewithlinux: Mozart Symphony #40

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Dec 18 01:10:35 UTC 2012

On 12/17/12 18:53, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:01:29AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> also he has composed stuff as ...
>>
>> "Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja,
>> Stets lustig, heißa hoppsassa!
>> Ich Vogelfänger bin bekannt
>> Bei Alt und Jung im ganzen Land."
> Lyrics by Schikaneder, not Mozart. And they are not any more or
> less stupid than for example:
>
>    Hey joe, where you goin' with that gun of your hand
>    Hey joe, i said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
>    I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
>    You know i caught her messin' 'round with another man
>
> by Jimi Hendrix.

It's not by Hendrix.

 From the Wikipedia page on Hey Joe:

While claimed by the late Tim Rose
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Rose> to be a traditional song
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_music>,^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe#cite_note-tim-8>
or often erroneously attributed to the pen of American musician
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musician> Dino Valenti
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Powers> (who also went by the names
Chester or Chet Powers, and Jesse Farrow), "Hey Joe" was registered for
copyright <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright> in the U.S. in 1962
by Billy Roberts
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Roberts>.^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe#cite_note-franzen-5>
Scottish folk singer Len Partridge has claimed that he helped write the
song with Roberts when they both performed in clubs in Edinburgh in
1956.^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe#cite_note-9> Other sources
(including singer Pat Craig), claim that Roberts assigned the rights to
the song to his friend Valenti while Valenti was in jail, in order to
give him some income upon
release.^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe#cite_note-franzen-5>
^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe#cite_note-fifth-10>

Best,